Saturday, January 19, 2013

January 19, 2013 What ARE we thinking? ?

I was so inspired by the hiking fools recent post that I was encouraged to add a contemplative one of my own. As our departure day draws closer I find myself both more nervous and more confident the same time.


I am plagued with questions, both from friends and family, but even more from myself. What are we thinking? I'm now over 50, can I really do this? Will I ever forgive myself if we don't make it? Can I give myself permission to not complete it if necessary?  What's it going to be like?  What am I going to learn about myself,  about Jeff, people, backpacking and life?  I have no doubt that I will be a changed person when we return.  I think we will have a closer, tighter marriage. I think I will be more confident and sure of myself and hopefully I'll be more patient too!

People ask what we need. What we need more than anything is for people to believe in us, to encourage us, to stand by us and pick us up when we fall (hopefully that's only figuratively!) We don't expect most folks to understand, just love us and encourage us as we follow this dream.

We aren't devoting tons of time,  energy, and expenses to the preplanning. Just what we have too. It's too easy for us to over do it. In some ways this approach is more freeing in others it's more stressful.

The day is approaching so quickly yet soooooo slowly.  I just want to hit the trail so I can quit pre-stressing!

When I start to feel down about the "walk" it only takes a few minutes on a trail to refresh me and stir the hiking bug. Is the PCT going to be hard? Is it going to challenge us? Is it going to be scary and dangerous? You betcha! But isn't life?

Too many thoughts. I must hike to sort through them!

We love hiking!
Jeff 'n Sue

2 comments:

  1. You should have a ticker on here. It would be fun to see how many days you have left until you begin. :)
    And I agree with your questions and thoughts. I feel the same way for you. There is only one way to find out though.
    Just give yourself the permission to not be perfect, and keep in mind that sometimes things come up that are out of our control and you will have to adapt and deal with it. Don't let it ruin your life though.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind. Just saw you already have a ticker! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete