Monday, July 29, 2013

On to Washington…



What I didn’t share in the last blog was
that we did indeed get to have breakfast with Alex and Renee AND Early Girl and Water Boy. Essentially it was three generations of hikers and what a great conversation we had with all different viewpoints and levels of experience and ideas being expressed. By this point, I was quite sure we were done with the PCT --for the time being at least -- and shared that with Early Girl and Water Boy. Early Girl later relayed to me that she hoped we would continue hiking, that WA was beautiful and that we wouldn’t be sorry. Now others have said the same, but something about how she said it reverberated with me and I couldn’t shake it. Dad Owens arrived and drove us home and the entire way I struggled with “I’m DONE hiking” and all the reasons (valid ones I might add) to support that decision and the “We have to do WA” and all the reasons for it too. By time we got home, I told TBG, “I know what I’ve been saying the last week and I don’t like this, but…we HAVE to do Washington.” He had been having similar feelings and so the planning began.

Here it is, July 29 and we have a ride to Cascade Locks scheduled for the 31 so we can be officially back on trail on August 1. TBG has not lost weight this time and the foot/ankle swelling has gone. He is changing out his back pack to one that is older but may be a bit more comfortable. Washington should be easy…we hope…after California. At least it is shorter, five hundred miles as opposed to about 1700, and lower—no more 14,000 foot passes. We feel pretty positive about it -- if reluctant. We get wiser with each venture out. We aren’t going to push for high miles as so many PCT hikers do (and are able to). Better for us to do lower miles and survive, than high miles and suffer. Please think of us and say an extra prayer for the next month! I think we’ll need them!

We thank all of you for your continued support and encouragement. It was fun to run into so many folks while home and get your support first hand. The care packages have been greatly appreciated and enjoyed as well.

Keep an eye out for us on our blog. We’ll do our best to keep it up. I understand the water sources and cell reception are the best in Washington!

We love hiking!

KOKO and The Bald Guy 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing Oregon and glad to hear you are giving Washington a go. Best of luck and enjoy the views!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go you two! You can do it! Take it easy and you'll find you will have most of the trail done by September! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hike your own hike and do it your own way, just like Frank Sinatra!

    Al will see you tomorrow, I'll remind him to get food! lol

    LYL, MS

    ReplyDelete