Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 10 - Don't Hike with Your Mouth Open

A good day. Long but good.

PCT miles: 663.91 to 680.9
longitude/lat: 35.83521   -118.04459
UTM: 11S 405657    3966234N
Elevation: 5536

 The weather was perfect even if the trail was lots of UP. We both have blisters again but we are watching them to make sure they don't get bad. We leap frogged with Red and KPax again today. Really like them. I am realizing how much I miss friends. There is an electric excitement among the hikers the closer we get to Kennedy Meadows--the official end of the desert. We came across a hiker who had been napping when a bear cub came and started eating the contents of his pockets. He managed to get up and get his pack and run off. He was a little freaked out (understandably) when we came around the corner and we all did the right things to chase the cub away but to no avail. It soon became obvious there was no momma bear and the little guy was starving. We got lots of photos but it was sad as we all know the most likely end to his story. Apparently he was scaring all the hikers as he was the talk of the trail for many miles. The terrain is definitely changing. More mountainous with lots of up but not so severe. Heard something on the radio about father's day--is it today? I don't even know what day it is for sure. I think I have the blog days a bit mixed up but can't find when I got it screwed up so just consider it all an approximation! I wished TBG happy dad's day anyway to make sure it's covered. I'm trying hard to get my attitude to improve and have been thinking of PCT Words of Wisdom quotes. For example, "Don't hike with your mouth open--you WILL catch bugs." or "Switchbacks are a necessary evil." and "Sometimes it's better NOT to see too far ahead." "You have to climb the mountain to appreciate the view." 

"Needles" the bear -- showing off for hikers.

These guys are super interesting! This one was not bothered by his photo shoot!

Moving on and moving up!


Today I touched a lizards tail-they are so entertaining! I wanted to catch it but wasn't sure what I would do with it if I did!  Probably scream. I will miss their crazy antics when we move into lizard-less climates. 

5 positives
1. Butter-Garlic Ritz crackers; 2. M&Ms; 3. Spring water; 4. bears; 5. lizards

WE LOVE HIKING!
KOKO and TBG

1 comment:

  1. Poor lil thing...life goes on no matter what happens, or what we think should have happened.

    You guys are doing great, keep it up!

    lyl
    MS

    ReplyDelete