Saturday, June 22, 2013

June 14- Beginning of the End

A big day. Easy trail but neither of us felt good physically or emotionally.
 721.35 to 735.43
Long/lat: 36.36345   -118.12789
UTM: 11S398813    4024852N
Elevation: 10,593

 So hungry. It's a good thing we are getting off early so we can tap into our "extra" food supply. We slept in 1/2 hour which helped some, but we're still so tired and have so far to go. It's so much cooler here, we wore our jackets most of the morning. I want to go home. It's not fun anymore. We are still hiking from water source to water source. I know I'm really tired which is making things worse than they are, but I still feel this way. TBG and I agree that we are too tired and hungry so we're going to jump off at Lone Pine to rest and regroup. I fear we might really be done this time which brings an entire new pile of stressful thoughts and emotions. I worry about what others (all you wonderful readers) will think of us. I wonder what WE will think of ourselves.I get excited about getting off and getting back to everyday life. We could go to the wedding, see the baby, build our house, play with grand kids...etc. We love to backpack,  but doing it day in and day out for 5 months is perhaps more than we bargained for. Then, I look at the Sierras...wow, they are beautiful...and terrifying. . Cherub and 5 others. Everyone else is so excited to be here and moving forward. It's hard to hear their excitement when all we can think of is getting off. TBG is getting weaker and weaker. It's obvious we need to get off at least temporarily.





5 positives
1. Opportunities to get off trail; 2. "Extra" food; 3. Fantastic views; 4. Warm clothes; 5. Open conversations between us

We LOVE hiking,
KOKO & The Bald Guy

3 comments:

  1. You know what I think of you guys, whether you continue or not???? You are both amazing to have hiked any of the PCT. The fact that you are already over 700 miles to me is incredible. Carol and I hike 700 miles in about 4-5 years, you have done that in less than 4-5 months!! I also know that at some point in the future we would love to do a day hike with you as well.....so you have to get off the trail at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes ditto and I agree! ;-)

    lyl,
    MS

    ReplyDelete