Tuesday, June 25, 2013

June 24-The PCT Hike and The Hike We Call "Life" (GUEST BLOG POST by Amazon aka Miriam)

On August 8, 2011, I had the distinct privilege of
dropping Sue and Jeff off on the PCT in Ashland, OR.  During the entire drive there, the range of emotions filling the car was a mix of anticipation, excitement, anxiety, and stops at rest areas--all things that come with the start of a new adventure.  I was so excited for them, and I was happy for them and so glad that I could be a part of this experience. We had some great pizza on the way down, so they were READY!

Prior to this day, I witnessed their planning, the packing and repacking, and the consideration of items in the OUNCES--not pounds.  There were so many little details that started to pop up -- similar to those few days before a big event (e.g., wedding, birth).  These early observations of KOKO and TBG were the first of many to come--but I did not know that then.  When we arrived at the trail, we took pictures, hugged a lot, and then I watch them take their very first steps on this Part I of their PCT Journey.  I watched them until I couldn't see them anymore.  I looked around -- what a beautiful place.  I so love Oregon.  I kept those tears in check until I climbed back into their car and began my journey back to Tillamook and back to their house that night--I didn't want to detract from their experience of this "first time."  My sister and best friend of 40+ years and her wonderful husband were embarking on a journey of a lifetime--I was not afraid for them at all--the few days of watching them had convinced me that they were on top of things.  I think the happy tears arise from simply having to part, of simply letting go of the enjoyment of each other and the bond that we share and knowing, from my own experience, what it is like to embark on a new adventure.  Sue and I met during our Kindergarten school year  (just a few short years ago--really--don't you believe me).  We have been arm in arm since then--sharing many an adventure -- finding salamanders in the creek, finding things in the old grandstands at the county fairgrounds, high school, learning to drive, Diary Queen, turning up Boston's "More Than a Feeling" on the cassette player (yes, that long ago) as loud as possible we drove past the dunes in PC, and then, the big event and the ups and downs in the hike we call life.  All those many years ago, I don't think either of us would have predicted the confluence of all of us--Sue, Jeff, my family--being in this place, at this time, sharing this part of the trail with them.

Next, on one hot summer day in July of 2012, my babies and I were going on an adventure--to hike to the Big Horn Mine.  We had discovered the existence of this mine in Wrightwood's Museum and they were so intrigued and captivated by the concept of a mine.  As we drove toward the mine, we discovered Inspiration Point,  one of the many ways to get on the PCT.  We stopped, took a picture of the PCT emblem, emailed to Sue, and then we called her--RIGHT THEN.  We were so excited that we had found IT--the PCT.  We knew that the PCT was near us, but until Sue and Jeff began planning the next phase of their PCT Journey, we had not idea how close we were.  We mused....we should taken them to the mine and to the Stamp Mill when they come...but, we really didn't know what the future would hold in terms of the timing of their trip.  

Before we knew it, April 2013 had arrived--Sue and Jeff were on their way.  We anxiously awaited their arrival in Big Bear Lake. As they began to grow their "trail legs," we learned right along with them about so many things that come with long-distance hiking:  blisters and blister care, starting slow when you begin the PCT and then work up to your daily mileage, the importance of the water report, the importance of taking your vitamins, the rituals of finding the "right" spot for the tent, who sleeps where in the tent, the importance of having a strong "body core" for carrying the pack, the pure joy in a shower after being on the trail, the wonder of having ice in your drinking water, the importance of having variety in your daily menu, the need to consider one's food preferences in the selection of food, the importance of using the "right" shoe and insoles for those shoes, the weight of the water in your pack, the pros and cons of cooking on the trail or not, the wonder of a flush toilet, and amazingly--just the enjoyment of cheese sticks, crackers, cashew nuts, and Salami after a long day on the trail.  At the Cajon Pass, they described their anticipation of the McDonald's at that stop -- the food was so good, they had both breakfast and lunch (they arrived just at the change to lunch).  For others who contemplate a PCT hike, I would say:  if you can, find your own "base camp" when you hike the California portion of the PCT.  Also, match the type and quantity of food with the needs of your body; the amount of calories matters, but as important, it is the quality of those calories that is key.  The quantity and type of food needed by one hiker may not work for another hiker.  Oh yes, another key lesson:  know what kind of you hike that you enjoy -- are you a day hiker, a PCT section hiker, or a thru-hiker?

Among others, the other aspect that they often discuss is the various trail friends that they encounter while on the trail -- they might pull ahead of them , and then at other points, these fellow travelers jump ahead of them.  I am so glad that they have these fellow travelers -- they watch out for each other.  Sue and Jeff also talk about those who have left the trail -- apparently, about 50% of those who begin the PCT trail do not finish -- this gives you an idea of how truly momentous the PCT hike really is -- it is not for the faint of heart.  One does not "just hike the PCT."  Hiking the PCT is like living life...like the journey of completing the doctoral dissertation for a Ph.D:  there are a lot of curves and unexpected events that require the hiker to adapt--as a hiker, what do you do when the water isn't where it is supposed to be near Tehachapi and there are 20 hikers that all need the water?  Sometimes, the Baden-Powell part of the trail just keeps going up and up, like life just keeps handing you lemons sometimes--even when you think you can't handle just one more!!!  What do you do?  What would YOU, the reader of this blog, do?  What is your motivation for hiking the PCT (or any trail for that matter)?  These are questions that only the hiker can answer, I think.  If I were to hike the PCT, I can tell you that I would be thinking about all of these lessons, what I want from the hike, and much more.

Since Big Bear Lake, my family and I have enjoyed being "Jeff and Sue's Trail Angels" with our house as their "base camp" for their stops in Wrightwood, Techachapi, Walker Pass, and the unanticipated stop at Lone Pine (the town in which one drives up the Mt. Whitney Portal).  When they left after the Wrightwood stop, I wondered when they might come back.  Then, we had the Tehachapi stop.  After they left, I wondered again.  Then, most unexpectedly, they called from Lone Pine after making a hard decision.  The Trail and Life had thrown put them on another switchback.  They had lost too much weight and needed time to regroup.  Although a hard call for them to make, they did was was best for them.  During this last stay that ended on June 24, we had a great time and as you might guess, Sue and Jeff jumped right in.  They helped us so much with just things around the house.  It was so great to have the support and help of family with the little things....washing dishes, pruning the rose bushes.

I have learned so much more about Sue and Jeff...what they like to eat, how they shop, what shoes they like, what socks they like, what they wear on on the trail, how they pack the food and get that into the pack, and much more.  I feel so fortunate to have been able to have an "up close" look at their journey and the comfort that comes from knowing that they are safe.  The "not knowing" is what is hard for family and friends, I think (unless one has done "through hiking on the PCT).  If they needed support in the future, I wouldn't hesitate to drive as far as necessary.  From my humble perspective, this is what family and sisters do.  I also want to extend my heartfelt thanks to Faith and Rik--these are also the "real deal" when it comes to being friends and family--thank you for being there for me and for Sue and Jeff (early on at the Warner Springs stop).

Sue and Jeff just keep putting one foot in front of each other--handling each and every curve ball that comes their way.  I do believe that they would be the first to tell you that some events are harder than others to deal with and that perhaps their composure isn't with them when they want it the most---I'm willing to bet that this is the case with all PCT hikers.......there is going to be that "something" that is just going to be HARD.  So--as in life, the test of  one's' character and of one's own mettle comes from what one does NEXT in the face of challenge and adversity. 

So, here I sit on June 24, 2013.  As I think about a closing to this LONG post (my humble apologies), I am thinking about how they are, simply:  INSPIRING and AMAZING.  How many people hike 700 miles or 900 miles, 1,000? 1,699?  2,650?  As Mark Twain says:  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." From my vantage point, Sue and Jeff are exploring, dreaming, and discovering....it is it easy?  No?  Do they still love hiking? Yes?

Regardless of the outcome of their PCT Journey--Yosemite, Oregon, Canada--I am very proud of them and only want the best for them.  I do not worry when they are on the trail...they have a plan and they have their trail legs...NO doubt in my mind.  My wish for them is that they look back at this and feel pride and accomplishment--that they are draw strength from this experience that aids them on This Hike We Call Life.

---Amazon (aka Miriam)

No comments:

Post a Comment