Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 4- Keep on Keeping on

It was a "nero" day with 11 miles.

PCT miles: 566.44 to 577.80
longitude/lat: 35.18012   -118.2461
UTM: 11S 38 6535     3893729N
Elevation: 5452

We gained 2000 feet in 4 miles which sounds harsher than it was. In order to meet Miriam for our resupply at Walker Pass, we'll have to do at least 17 mile days the next few days. We are have less and less blister problems which is a great relief! Weight loss however is a problem. The Bald Guy has lost 20lbs which, for those of you who know him, is a lot. I have lost over 10 which makes me happy but also puts me in the concern zone for future loss. I'm worried about TBG. So far our energy level is holding but we have some tough trail ahead. Like all the other hikers, we are nervous about this desert stretch but anxious to get it done. Right now the terrain is mountainous--hardly the desert we anticipated. We like it! Water shortage is a problem. There are a lot of hikers so caches are often low or empty. We are really looking forward to the Sierras where water shouldn't be a problem, only bears! I still struggle with wanting to quit. This is a much larger endeavor than I could have expected. I get so tired, I'm still not sure why we are doing it and am coming to grips that it will be okay if we should opt to not finish. I so enjoy the visits at the Fultz-Waters home and it's making me re-think what's really important. 
We always enjoy watching the antics of our trail friends!

5 positives of the day:
1. Back on trail; 2. No major wounds; 3. Anteaters (I wish we had one on trail!); 4. Joshua Tree groves; 5. Miriam and family

WE LOVE HIKING!
KOKO and TBG

No comments:

Post a Comment